Wednesday 17 December 2008

Surface

The new Knitty Winter has been out for a few days, and I picked up my next project, Surface by...guess who... Norah Gaughan! (again!) There is something about her designs that attracts me and I feel compelled to knit everything she designs. Of course, life gets in the way, so sometimes I forget about her designs, until we meet again.
The jacket looks fantastic - it has a classic shape and the blisters that decorate the sleeves, the collar and the extra stole (fixed to the buttons, very clever!) make it look like a piece of knitwear you'd be happy to spend plenty of money on a first class boutique.
So, what did I do...I thought of using my Rowan 4ply Soft, but it was far too thin to match the gauge...and then I paid a visit to Cucumberpatch, who had plenty of Jaeger Extra Fine Merino in many colours, including a middle grey that just begged to be transformed into Surface. So I ordered it, whole 16 skeins (because you'd better have one left than being one too short, right?).
Jaeger Extra Fine Merino
On Monday, I cast on and as of today I have knitted just past the first decreases on the back piece:
Surface
I used needles 3.5mm for the border in 2/2 rib, and 4mm for the main body. The gauge is almost as given. Almost. Did I say that I did not do a swatch with 4mm? The 3.75mm were just too thin for the yarn, so I ignored the swatching. And the swatch police.
I can't wait to knit the blister pattern, so maybe after the back I will have to cast on the sleeves...or the stole even!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this shade of gray :) Can't wait to see the finished product!

The bunnies would like to know what grunrollis are! They cannot believe they've never tasted this food that is worth fighting over!

As for the snow, I'm not sure if there's a function for in on Blogger. On Wordpress, it's in Dashboard > Appearance > Extras. Hope you have something similar :)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

That yarn, that yarn, gorgeous, makes me wish I knitted .

Erin said...

Great color! And that pattern is beautiful. I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to knitting. I need to branch out thought. You can only knit so many scarfs and baby blankets!

Glenna said...

Lovely, lovely yarn. Can't wait to see it all done up. I'm a very slow knitter--seems to me you did quite a bit!